THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Assignment 2; Natural Food Industry



1a. On my last trip to the grocery store I purchased the following items, I realized that because I knew I was going to be recording my purchases I was more focused on the way I was shopping. I usually read the labels of anything in a package, and pay most attention to calories, trans and saturated fats, and sugar content. I make fairly regular purchases at a few different markets, and because of my current schedule, buy a lot more packaged than bulk foods because of the time I have to grab and go. I will still buy nuts, grains, rice, and dried fruits in bulk, but realize now that I don't pay as close attention to those labels because I have trust in the business that I am purchasing them from. Also, I have come to associate many of these bulk foods such as granola and dried fruit, as well as the occasional chocolate almonds and yogurt raisins, as my junk foods or sweet snack foods, therefore I know that they aren't that good for me, so I just assume that sugar will be high. However, my rice, nuts, grains, and even breads are purchased sans-packaging as much as possible because of the waste and health benefits.
It occurs to me now after attempting to get underneath my shopping process, and why or how it is that I have come to shop like this, that I assume that non packaged foods are going to be better for my body than those that are packaged. Why is it that I feel this way? To purchase in bulk obviously cuts down on waste, but is it necessarily or even in general better foods for my body? I suppose it depends on where I purchase the foods, the variety of the foods I purchase, the portioning in which I consume them, and what I am looking for in my own personal diet.

So, on this particular shopping trip I skipped the bulk section and bought the following items, (keep in mind I was on my bike and had to choose with the thought of transporting my purchases home in my backpack, so I kept it relatively simple).

1b:

Item #1. Good for Life California Sun-Dried Made in Nature 100% Organic RAISINS:
Wow... and that wasn't even the whole title of this particular bag of raisins. It's interesting how marketing works to grab our attention. These raisins were purchased at Fred Meyer, I buy them there because I can get a very large bag that will last myself and my two roommates longer. However, after bringing it home I realize that all of the "organic" language on the bag in bold and large colors almost seems as if they are trying to convince the potential consumer of the quality or freshness of the mystery product inside. Maybe this is why I prefer unpackaged goods, because I can see what I will be consuming in the near future! It is similar to going in to a restaurant and having limited to no access or view of the kitchen. What is going on back there and is it clean? The more you can see, the more hands on you feel with what is going on around you, the more personal connection you feel to your food. The texture, sight and smell of your food should be what grabs your eye, not the bright yellow bag with an image of shiny green grapes, inside of which is a ridiculous amount of raisins (I'm assuming because grapes are more appealing to the eye before they are dried up and loaded with sugar).

Item #2. Westbrae Natural Organic Black Beans:
These beans were purchased in a can, a large can at that, from People's Food Cooperative. I knew that I already had a few cans of beans from there, but I really couldn't think of anything else we needed at the house, and I like to incorporate beans in many of my meals because it has fiber and protein, and they are a good filler. I haven't really done any more research on beans, and I'm not sure when it became part of my semi-regular diet, I think at some point I replaced things like croutons or chicken in my salads with beans or rice. My salads are slowly becoming a veggie burrito minus the tortilla, with the addition of fruits and spinach....Yum. The other thing I noticed when looking closer at my can of beans is the USDA Organic stamp on the label--and the fact that my bag-o-raisins was missing the same stamp. Now I wonder, what exactly does that mean? Do I trust the USDA to make a distinction between what is healthy for me by officiating titles Organic and USDA Organic? I suppose that question can only be answered by the kind of research that is going on in our textbooks. I would have to trace back my raisins to their California place of birth and investigate the sustainable efforts of the farm where they were grown. On top of that I have to decide if I have already broken my personal food and environment values by purchasing a non-local product. Already I have gone from feeling pretty good about my food choices before I started this assignment, to beginning a personal inventory of my beliefs and values in the choosing from the vast array of products, and lifestyles for that matter, that we have available to us.

Item #3: Barbara's Bakery PUFFINS Peanut Butter 100% Natural Crunchy Corn Cereal:
Confession, I love these things. I don't even care about the picture or how unappealing the milk looks in the bowl on the box, my roommate brought these home one time and I was hooked. I go through about a box a month, and it's the only cereal I eat besides the boring oat bran which comes in a large bag from people's. Granted, the box of Puffins state that they are low fat and wheat free, but I associate cereal especially with sugar and other bad things, so I stick to pure oat bran or the occasional granola and fruit breakfast. I just realized that Corn was in the title of this cereal, and after reading all about corn in Omnivore's Dilemma I'm wondering where this corn came from, after all, it isn't 100% Natural Corn... It's 100% Naturally Crunchy Corn Cereal. And I'm 100% Naturally a sucker for titles like that. If that isn't social advocating or manipulating or false advertisement, than I'm not sure what is.

4:Whole Foods vs. People's Food
I work next door to a Whole Foods and up until about 6 months ago also lived very near that same location. So I did 99% of my shopping at Whole Foods. It was easy to get addicted to the store and I think there are a few reasons for that. It goes back to the Barlow-Simson hand out which describes the desirable qualities of a supermarket. The cleanliness, inviting atmosphere, clearly marked aisles, fresh looking products, large variety, informed and clean staff, and the desire for customer feedback. They have everything your heart could imagine, and the idea that it is all organic is an automatic reward the minute you walk through the doors. People walk out of there with whole pizzas, cheesecakes, and a bouquet of flowers from Brazil without thinking twice about whether or not those were healthy choices because it came from "whole foods", and we have become conditioned to associate that with "good for me". Granted, Whole Foods makes many efforts to help lower our individual carbon footprints, and is making efforts as a company to lower their own. They are for the education of food development and food choice, and I think are a better choice than Safeway or Albertsons, but I have begun to step away from my own Whole Foods Junkie life because of a few different reasons.

I've begun to get the same feeling of overabundance, overwhelming variety, and unnecessary product assortment when I am in Whole Foods. It is slightly similar to a Costco experience, but things are more pricey, and most products claim to be natural or organic in some form. However, I can't justify shopping somewhere where there are plants, foods, and produce brought in from places across the world on a regular basis. I enjoy the flowers just as much as the next person, but to waste energy and transport a beautiful plant merely for our aesthetic value? It's not lining up for me, and I struggle with whether it is possible to only purchase local items. Even at People's Food they have apples brought in from Chile. I understand that I don't have to purchase these items, however, I think I do, I know I do, fairly regularly. In my coffee, my tea, my toothpaste, all or most of my toiletries are not made from local products.

On a priority scale of one to ten, I would say that I am making my food choices a 6. I thought I was a lot higher before I started to evaluate it. And I've just skimmed the surface. I suppose am or was comparing my own lifestyle and diet with that of others around me, and so I felt I was making large sacrifices for the sustainability of local and natural products, I would hit the farmers market about once a month, and only drive my car once or twice a week, and drop the money needed to shop at the Cooperative and other natural or cooperative markets. Years ago I eliminated things from my diet such as meat, fast food, corporate chains, soda, and milk. I made other things such as fish, and other forms of dairy very minimal, but see them slipping in regularly (mostly from my deep-rooted love for cheese). I found that since I did not eat meat, I could dismiss myself from any responsibility towards the epidemic surrounding the cruel raising of chickens and cattle (like the Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations visited in Omnivores Dilemma), I felt that I was doing my part to help, because I wasn't part of the consumer population. Yet, I work at a large corporate restaurant that serves plenty of it, so am I really not credible for contributing to the problem?

At this point in time, I feel that maybe I am more at the beginning of my food journey than ever before. "Organic" has been my second language for the past few years, and the more I read about the history and travels of this "organic" food before it comes to me, the more I question if it falls within my values and personal goals towards living and sharing a sustainable and environmentally supportive life.

0 comments: